Saturday, February 21, 2009

New Dinghy Chocks















I have been working on new dinghy chocks for Maitreya's cabin and foredeck. The existing layout was built for an 7 foot, 11 inch Dyer Midget, so we had been strapping our larger 9 foot Fatty Knees to the cabin. This had worked fairly well, but minor shifting at see would dig up the paint on the cabin and deck.

My new San Diego friend, John, took me up to Frost Hardwood Lumber where we found some Jatobá. Jatobá or Brazilian Cherry is a very heavy and tough tropical hardwood. It is a poor man's teak. I then proceeded to dull John's wonderful chop saw cutting up the stock. Thanks to John for all the help with this.

I continued to hack and screw and bolt the wood until I came up with something that will hold the dinghy in place. It is times like this that I miss my woodworking whiz friends back in Berkeley. Michael and John, where are you when I need you?


No comments:

The Cruising Yacht SiteRing

Previous | List | Random | Join | Next

SiteRing by Bravenet.com